Zucchini Noodle Pad Thai
Vegetable-based noodles have quickly become a popular low carbohydrate, low-calorie alternative to pasta. This recipe takes traditional pad Thai flavors and develops them into a vegetarian classic. Zucchini noodles can be made at home using a spiralizer or can be found already prepared in the produce section of some grocery stores (like Whole Foods).
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
Total time: 25 min
2 whole eggs
1/4 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
1/2 tablespoon peanut oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 shallot, minced
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon roughly chopped cilantro
2 medium zucchinis, spiralized or ~2 cups zucchini noodles
For the sauce:
2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1/2 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon chili sauce
1 teaspoon honey
1. Scramble the eggs in a small frying pan and set aside.
2. Place all of the ingredients for the sauce into a bowl, whisk together and set aside.
3. Place the peanuts into a food processor and pulse until lightly ground (no big peanuts should remain, but it shouldn’t be powdery). Set aside. If you do not own a food processor, peanuts can be carefully chopped by hand.
4. Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add in oil, garlic and shallots. Cook for about 1¬-2 minutes, stirring frequently, until the shallots begin to soften. Add in the sauce and flour. Whisk quickly so that the flour dissolves and the sauce thickens. Cook for 2-¬3 minutes or until sauce is reduced and thick.
5. Once the sauce is thick, add in the zucchini noodles and cilantro and stir to combine thoroughly.
6. Cook for about 2 minutes or until noodles soften and then add in the scrambled eggs and ground peanuts. Cook for about 30 seconds, tossing to fully combine.
7. Plate onto dishes and garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve with lime wedges.
Nutritional Information per Serving:
Calories: 343 cal, Fat: 21 g, Carbohydrates: 29 g, Fiber: 6 g, Protein: 15 g, Sodium: 457 mg
Adapted from: https://inspiralized.com/vegetarian-zucchini-noodle-pad-thai/