Skinny Gingerbread Cookies
Written by: Christina Dauer, MPH, RD, LD/N, CDE
Makes: 48 Cookies
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup dark molasses
3 cups all-purpose flour; plus, more for dusting
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 tablespoon egg whites
1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 cup powdered sugar
pinch of cream of tartar
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar and applesauce until smooth. Add the egg and molasses, mix well.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and spices. Add to sugar and molasses mixture, stirring well.
- Divide the dough into two flat balls; cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Generously dust the surface of your working area with flour.
- Roll the dough out to 1/4 or 1/8-inch thickness. Sprinkle a little flour on top of the dough if it’s a little sticky. Cut the gingerbread with a cookie cutter shape of your choice.
- Place cookies 1 or 2 inches apart on a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake 10-12 minutes.
- For the Icing: Mix the egg whites with lemon juice. Combine with powdered sugar, mixing well. If the icing is too thin, add more powdered sugar, if it’s too thick add a drop of lemon juice. Add to a piping bag to decorate cookies when cookies are cooled.