Classic ratatouille is a French Provencal stewed dish, cooked over the stove, combining a variety of summer vegetables such as tomatoes, garlic, onions, zucchini, eggplant, and fresh herbs. This recipe is less of a stew, and more of a grilled vegetable salad. It’s a perfect and flavorful side dish to pair with any meat option. For a vegetarian variation, simply add any bean of your choice (pinto, garbanzo, kidney, etc.) for a main meal salad.
Active: 25 Minutes
Total: 33 Minutes
Makes: 6 side-dish servings
2 zucchini, cut into quarters lengthwise
2 yellow squash, cut into quarters lengthwise
2 small eggplant, sliced lengthwise into 1-1.5 inch slices
2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and quartered
2 yellow bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and quartered
2 red onions, quartered
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil, plus 2 tablespoons
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place all cut vegetables and the tomatoes in a large shallow baking dish, add the 1/4 cup of olive oil, and toss to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place the vegetables on the grill and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, turning halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove the tomatoes, cover grill, and cook the remaining vegetables for 2 minutes, or until almost cooked through.
- Transfer vegetables to a cutting board and coarsely chop (leave tomatoes whole).
- Place the chopped vegetables and tomatoes in a large bowl, add the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, oregano and parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
Calories: 140cal, Fat: 3g, Protein: 5g, Carbohydrates: 26g, Fiber: 10g, Sodium: 250mg